Friday, May 14, 2010

out of Doncaster, a monologue

You see these street lamps on the bridge ?  Never thought they'd survive. I've not seen them lit up. I don't like to be in Doncaster after dark. These days you don't do you. Youths with knives and what have you. I'd have 'em all rounded up and put in a big concentration camp. On the Isle of Man … or what was that Scottish island they had to abandon because of … not Foot and Mouth, what was it ?
What is there to do in Doncaster ?  The Dome, is it ?  I don't know, but it's very popular, I believe.
I've not long moved back up here. This was my home, but I've been living down in Louth. To be with my daughter. Now I've lost her, I thought I'd move back up. I wish I hadn't, really. Still, if I'd stayed down there, I'd have been flooded out. We put up a bench, you know, in her memory, in this nature reserve we helped to get going. That was under water. I've lived all over. Leeds, Aylesford, South Wales. My husband  used to work on the farms, so we'd go where there was work for him. My sister, though, as she says, she's lived in the same house her whole life, practically. I couldn't be like that.
I didn't like Leeds, though. Preferred Louth, with my daughter. They've still got her ashes on the mantelpiece. Can't decide what to do. As my grandsons say, “we've nowhere to go”, you know, to mourn.
That's where we were brought up, over there. You see that church hall ?  We had magic lantern shows, in there, with the Girl Guides. And that's where they took us when we were bombed out. Just while they found us somewhere to live. We never went back to the old house, though. I used to work in there, see, the Picture House. It's a fireplace showroom now; it's been a supermarket and all sorts since. No, we never got to see much of the films. By the time you've done selling the tickets. But I did have a little torch, and one of those trays for the drinks and the ices, you know. That school there, I started there seventy-seven years ago. It's changed a bit since. I nearly drowned in that boating lake there. The swans come from Russia, I think. It was a Sunday morning, and I was taking my little brother to church. I was eight. I fell off the little bridge. Somebody saw me, and got me out and took me over the road to the doctor. Otherwise I'd not be here talking to you now …

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home